Review – Before I Wake by Rachel Vincent


Title: Before I Wake
Author: Rachel Vincent
Series: Soul Screamers #6
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Published: July 6th 2012 by Mira ink (first published June 26th 2012)





I died on a Thursday—killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul.
The good news? He didn’t get it.
The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school…

Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much
harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent
“recovering,” she’s back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend.

But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim
stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won’t keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn’t just gambling with her own life…
*Purchases through buy links help support this blog
OMG!! What a ride this turned out to be!! I found it so hard to put this book down… it was that good! Kaylee is so emotional in this one and she is finding it hard to adapt to her new life and I really felt sad for her. THANK GOD FOR TOD!! He is such an amazing guy to keep her grounded like that. I just love him to bits and he is so kind and gentle, for a grim reaper that is, and will do anything for her… I may have found a new book-boyfriend!! Lol

Anyway… In this book our reoccurring bad guy, Avari, is back, but he has a new trick. He is toying with Kaylee and her crew and it is not clear what he is trying to do, but the end game involves Kaylee. I enjoyed this aspect of the story as it is not easy to see the direction of the plot but it is one hell of an emotional rollercoaster ride for Kaylee. Avari knows how to push the right buttons but Tod is there to set her straight and I love that about him (just a tad more).

Kaylee seems to be coping ok on the outside, but we can see how torn up she is since the ‘accident’ that changed her life altogether. Spending so much time alone with her thoughts sends her into a bit of depression. She is able to work through it with the support of her closest friends and her father. Her relationship with Nash is still a little strained, but things improve throughout the story.


I shed a tear a couple of times in this book as there are some heartbreaking things that happened in this book, damn Avari! However, there were some great Swoon moments in this book and a really intense scene that I was cheering for! I loved how the whole story unfolded and then set itself up for the final book! I think firecracker Kaylee is going to kick some serious butt, and I am excited, but sad to read that final book!!





A resident of Oklahoma, Rachel Vincent has a BA in English and an overactive imagination, and consistently finds the latter to be more practical. She shares her workspace with two black cats (Kaci and Nyx) and her # 1 fan. Rachel is older than she looks-seriously-and younger than she feels, but remains convinced that for every day she spends writing, one more day will be added to her lifespan.

Find Rachel online at:


Check out my reviews for the previous books –

10 comments:

  1. This sounds like an emotional and great book. I like the sound of Tod :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review. I enjoyed Tod being there for Kaylee too, he is definitely book boyfriend material! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I read one of your reviews for this series, I get caught up in your love for them and kick myself for not having read them and Tod sounds dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK GOD FOR TOD!! Hell yeah!!! :D Loved your review! And Kaylee really is one tough girl, just wait for till you read the next book!! AH! Cannot wait for your thoughts on that one

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes... Tod just rocks!! It is a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha!! I do love them!! I am glad I get to read them all together though, not spaced over years!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to read it this week, but I don't want it to end.... next week!! And Tod..... Love him to death! Such a great guy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review!! That's one of the things I can't wait to read in the last one. Kaylee is sure to kick some serious butt in the next one. I can't wait to read that :D


    I think how Rachel Vincent is able to flawlessly weave in those complex emotions is one of the best parts in this book, heck this whole series.


    One last thing, which book has been your favorite so far?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have to say this one is my fav so far, but I haven't read With All My Soul yet. I think each book gets better and better, and my first 5 star in the series was With All My Soul, they just kept building and getting better and better!!


    Rachel just rocks, and I love her work. I want to finish the Bound series soon too, I have only read the first book, and I really enjoyed that one. But then I will have a long wait for something new from her!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't leave a comment please EMAIL ME a quick message!! Disqus may have some tweeks :)