Review ~ Off Sides by Sawyer Bennett

Title: Off Sides
Author: Sawyer Bennett
Series: Off Series #1
Genre: NA Contemporary Romance
Published: February 21st 2013


icon



“I'm not sure what possessed me to do it. Maybe it was the impossible expectations I faced, maybe it was my own self-loathing. But I just knew I needed something different to happen. I needed someone... something... to derail me from my current path. Otherwise, I would become lost... a hollowed out shell of a man. So I did it. I approached her, then I pursued her, then I made her mine. And my life was saved...”

Ryan Burnham is the privileged son of a U.S. Congressman and captain of his university’s hockey team. While he is on the verge of fulfilling his dreams to play in the NHL, his parents want him on a different course. One he is expected to accept for the sake of his family’s public image.

Forced her to abandon her music career after the heart breaking death of her parents, Danny Cross exists on the opposite side of the tracks from Ryan. She is struggling to make her own way, working two jobs, attending college part time and volunteering in a homeless shelter. She is on a mission to build her own success.

With a chance meeting, their vastly different worlds collide, causing each to evaluate whether they are truly on the correct path to self-fulfillment and happiness. Can their relationship survive? Particularly when others are against them every step of the way. A lot can happen in just ten short days...
Being a bit of a sports buff, I am always intrigued when sports are in books and especially ice hockey, as we really don't have that here in Australia. (And I grew up watching the mighty ducks movies!!) So I was excited to read this book to see Bennett Sawyer’s work as she is about to release the 5th book in this series. Off Sides was a short, fun read, bringing two people from opposite sides of the tracks together.

Ryan has been raised with money, and his circle of friends has been too. He is chasing his dreams of playing hockey, instead of doing what his family expects of him. He is the captain of his college ice hockey team , built well and scorching hawt! He’s a really nice guy, treats people well and is very polite. I quite liked him from the start as he doesn't look at people and judge them by appearances, he looks past it and in this case, looks past Danny's purple hair and piercings to the beautiful girl underneath.

Danny has had a hard life, but is doing everything in her power to get back to where she wants to be. She has a kind heart and is very selfless. What I liked about her was her attitude and she is willing to stick up for herself. Her appearances cover the smart, intelligent and slightly fractured girl underneath. She does things that most other 21year olds don’t do, and I think this is what attracts Ryan to her. She tries to push him away but all the little things that she does seem to strengthen his feelings for her.

Ryan and Danny's first meeting was by chance and highly amusing. Someone in Ryan's group gives Danny cheek and Danny was quick to turn around and smack her down with her own words. I found I was smirking through this and knew that these two were going to hit it off. It was almost a love at first sight thing that usually annoys me, but the characters have to work through their insecurities and other problems to get on the right track.

There were other characters that I liked too, Paula and Sarge are Danny's support team and Paula's bluntness was funny at times. Mike, Ryan's best friend is always there and has his back at the drop of a hat. All these characters gave extra depth to the book, and I hope I get to see more of them someday.

Being the first book of Bennett’s that I have read I was quite surprised as to how well she drew me into the story. The characters are quite believable and do normal things. They have dreams and problems with families, but are trying to make themselves better people. The story was a little predictable, but not so bad to turn me off, I enjoyed it immensely! I am looking forward to reading more from Bennett, and I hope you try her work out too.




10 comments:

  1. I got this one a while back when it was free on Amazon and have heard such great things about the series (particularly from Phantasmic Reads). I just haven't had time to get to it! I love the way you describe the characters, makes me want to read it even more. Why can't I just stop the clock already!?! LOL Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hockey and def need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I got this for free. I'm not a big sports person but I do love the idea of hooking up with an athlete forever. It's just so sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't normally read many books that have to do with sports, but I think this sounds good, and I have it. I need to get reading faster, so I can. :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got it for free too, because I am reading book 5 as part of the tour. I really liked it. I try to stop time every day! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will enjoy it then Brandi, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think so too.... Sports people tend to be fit *Wink*

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG!! Try it out, you will be surprised for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review Nomi :) Sometimes predictable can be enjoyable if they write well - and in this case it seems to have worked out well!

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It did work out well, I really enjoyed this book. Hope you have a chance to try this series!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't leave a comment please EMAIL ME a quick message!! Disqus may have some tweeks :)