Review ~ Beautiful Broken Rules by Kimberly Lauren

Title: Beautiful Broken Rules
Author: Kimberly Lauren
Series: Broken #1
Genre: NA Contemporary Romance
Published: May 14th 2013


icon



What happens when you create rules to keep others out?

One thing Emerson Moore has come to terms with is that she is the school slut. She knows her way around a frat house and how to get what she wants. She doesn’t make any excuses for her actions and she doesn’t pretend to be anything different. She is who she is and with that she knows how to have a good time. She’s made rules to keep relationships at bay and avoid the demons of her past.

When her best friend, Cole has his two friends from back home move in with him she begins to think she has met her match with Jaxon Riley. Jax is the perfect mixture of tattooed muscle and a sweet-talking mouth. With “hand” written notes, a voice that exudes sex and knowing just how to get under her skin, Jaxon learns how to break all the rules. But will he just end up breaking her heart anyway?

New Adult/Adult Contemporary Romance - recommended for ages 18 and up.


Debbie @ I Heart YA Books shared a tease from Beautiful Broken Rules and I just had to get it because it sounded so good. And I wasn't disappointed at all!! We have two characters that are perfect for one another, but because of the rules that Em has set for herself, she doesn't let anyone in. When you discover her past, you can understand why she does it. Jaxon also has some issues in his past that he has been running from, but things changed when he sets his sights on Em.

Em is a fun character, right from the start she labels herself as a slut and almost gets away with her walk of shame… and runs into her BF Cole, his friend Mason and a new guy on a motorbike. She straightens her shoulders and powers on anyway… She doesn't let things affect her like most people would. Hell, I would've died of shame for sure!! I noticed though that Em doesn’t like to develop feelings for people. Things happened when she was younger, so she has decided to avoid attachment at all cost so she doesn’t have to feel that kind of hurt again. So to avoid that, she has three rules that she has set for her sexual life that she must abide by to avoid conflict and attachment… And they will be her biggest undoing!

I have three rules: never sleep with someone that a friend has feelings for, never sleep with someone who is in a known relationship (when this isn't disclosed to me, it is not my fault), and finally, never sleep with someone more than three times.

Jaxon I liked from the beginning… He is very cheeky and I love that kind of spunk in a guy. He is willing to dish it out, flirt and everything, but takes it all in his stride when it is turned on him. He is the first person that has really challenged Em in a long while and they were definitely entertaining to watch together. They have fun, make a few bets and totally enjoy one another's company. But life always throws new challenges and doesn't always run smoothly…

The only real fault I had about this book is the lack of detail in the bedroom scenes. I have read a lot of NA books and most are quite descriptive when it comes to the sexual fun. The ones in this book were glossed over, but I was still able to imagine them a bit.


I loved how the author wrote this book, it is all from Em's POV (except for the epilogue) and I could see what Em struggled with along the way. I really liked how the plot played out, too. People deal with tragedy and emotions in their own way and it is interesting to see what they do. I connected well with the characters and the relationship was believable as things don't always run smoothly. I am looking forward to more stories from this world for sure…… Jaxon's brother, Jace, is next… More yummy!!






6 comments:

  1. I love a book that doesn't disappoint at all! I've been seeing this one around, and I think I need it! YES! I really like the sound of the story!


    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I like the sounds of Em and Jaxon. Yay for not being disappointed too. Wonderful review, you got my attention. Adding it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha!! It was a great read and I'm looking forward to more from this series... there are still some fun people to get books!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you'd like it... a lot!! Hope you get it soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovley review. I look forward to Jace story too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks girl!! I'm excited for it too! Twins are lots of fun!! *wink*

    ReplyDelete

If you can't leave a comment please EMAIL ME a quick message!! Disqus may have some tweeks :)