Review - Waking Up Immortal by Rachel Carrington


Title: Waking Up Immortal
Author: Rachel Carrington
Series: Waking Up Immortal #1
Expected Publication: October 20th 2012
Format: eBook provided by Author for review

For Readers 18+

Description from Goodreads

I could die today, and it wouldn’t matter. I’d still wake up tomorrow. Some people might consider that a good thing, and the time I took my first bullet, well, I can’t say I complained when I woke up, but that’s the middle of the story.

At first I didn't want this "gift" which led me to a long search for my father. I thought he could help me. Turns out my father was in prison, and I just happened to get on the bad side of his warden—a huge, cyborg type of guy who could body double for Sylvester Stallone. He didn't want me to see my father, and he was a pretty big obstacle for me to overcome.

So here I am trying to convince this guy, Kier, to let me see my father when all hell breaks loose. Then I suddenly learn I really don't want to see dear old Dad after all. My life isn't in danger, but how I spend the rest of my immortal existence is. The only thing standing between me and certain torture is Kier.

I don't doubt he'll protect me, but being so close to him makes me forget about things like safety. And the first time he kisses me turns into heat up the windows type of scene in the front seat of my car. 

My immortal existence is safe with Kier. My heart is on shaky ground. Only I could fall in love with a cyborg while my life is going to hell in a handbasket.



This is the first book that I have read in a long time that does not have a Vampire, Werewolf, Zombie or anything like that, but it is still a Paranormal book. It is a fantastic story where we follow the life of a new Immortal human, Chloe, as she discovers more about the universe after setting out on an adventure to uncover the identity and location of her father, who she hopes will be able to help her.

The book is told from one POV, Chloe who was involved in an accident which leads to the discovery of her immortality. Naturally she wants to find out more about herself and she crosses paths with Kier, who tells her to forget about her father and return home. Chloe is a stubborn person and doesn’t like being told what to do so she continues on the journey only to run into Kier again. It is the beginning of a type of love/hate relationship as Chloe finds that she really dislikes Kier, but can’t help the attraction that she feels for him either.

Kier is a mysterious person. I kept wondering whether Chloe could trust him 100% or not, but as the story unfolds you can see that he is a very dedicated person and you can’t help but love his protective nature. But there is something to Kier that is different and he seems so perfect. He is very rarely challenged by anyone but Chloe is constantly provoking him and it’s amusing to watch them make decisions together.

Rachel Carrington is a superb writer and I was absorbed into the story from the very first paragraph....

I wasn’t happy to discover my immortality. Others might have been exhilarated. Me? I only thought about how I’d have to watch every person who meant something to me die. “You just told me I can’t die. How can you sit there calmly drinking tea?”

From that paragraph I thought, yep, I’m going to like this one! And I definitely wasn’t disappointed. Rachel kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading and I was never sure who the bad guys actually were. The sex scenes were positively steamy, and if you read the blurb above, the car scene is my favourite!!

Waking Up Immortal is a superb start to the series. We discover that there is more to the Universe outside of Earth and I am very eager to see where Rachel will take us next, or who we may meet...... 



To find out more about Rachel and other books that she has written, 
visit her online at-



6 comments:

  1. Great review. Never heard of this bok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. I'm not big on paranormal, but it looks kind of interesting. Thanks for the review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a little different as it has a sci-fi element to it, but I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping by and reading my review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure I like the cover, but your review has me curious .Glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It doesn't make sense to begin with, but once you read it it does. Thanx for checking out my review.

    ReplyDelete

If you can't leave a comment please EMAIL ME a quick message!! Disqus may have some tweeks :)