Review - Shadows by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Shadows (Lux, #0.5)
Title: Shadows
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux # 0.5
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Published: February 21st 2012

The Blurb

The last thing Dawson Black expected was Bethany Williams. As a Luxen, an alien life form on Earth, human girls are…well, fun. But since the Luxen have to keep their true identities a secret, falling for one would be insane.

Dangerous. Tempting. Undeniable.

Bethany can’t deny the immediate connection between her and Dawson. And even though boys aren’t a complication she wants, she can’t stay away from him. Still, whenever they lock eyes, she’s drawn in.

Captivated. Lured. Loved.


Dawson is keeping a secret that will change her existence...and put her life in jeopardy. But even he can’t stop risking everything for one human girl. Or from a fate that is as unavoidable as love itself.



My Review

There has been a fair bit of hype about this series so I thought I'd read them all together and start at the very beginning, with Bethany and Dawson's novella Shadows. I was expecting amazing things in this novella, but it was more of a case of a girl moving to a new town, meets a boy and love at first sight. It was cute and fun and it was an enjoyable read and a great introduction to the Lux series.

I don't usually enjoy books that are predictable, but Shadows gave us a great insight to the Luxens, the Arums and how they all interact with humans. When Luxens are born, they usually come as triplets, 2 boys and a girl. From who I met in Shadows, there is a good boy and bad boy in each set of triplets and Dawson is the good boy. When Bethany stalks into his English class he is instantly attracted to her. The insta-love relationship develops and they work really hard together to get Dawson's bother Daemon and sister Dee to accept them, along with the other Luxen's they are close too.

I liked Dawson, he is very sweet and protective of Bethany from the instant they meet. They are a cute couple and have a lot of things common. Bethany is very accepting of Dawson's alien side, which I thought was a bit too easily done, but it worked for them. There was one thing I didn't understand, and that was when a life changing event occurred, Dawson didn't share it with anyone in his family, even though they are supposed to be close. This could've changed how things went in the story, but even though there was an unexpected ending, it must be the reason as to why Daemon will be even more protective of his family in the future books.

There were some nice swoon moments and some good action/fight scenes, but I expected a little more, but I still enjoyed it. I am really excited as to how the story will go now, as there has been so much hype over Daemon, in fact, I'm going to start right now……





8 comments:

  1. I have not come across this book before. Thanks so much for bringing
    it to my attention. Happy Reading! Here is my WoW for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjpy it as much as you thought you would. But not to worry, the rest are definitely worth your time and effort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. See you gotta start with Obsidian and then go backwards lol! I read Obsidian first, fell in love, and then went back to see what happened with Dawson. I agree Dawson and Bethany's story is a bit typical but Daemon and Katy is not typical at all. Sorry to hear you didnt enjoy this as much as you hoped but I hope you enjoy the actual books more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started Obsidian first then Shadows was better. If Read it first would of given it 3 stars. I am starting to learn to read prequals later. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it would've been better if I had read it that way too. Oh well!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that now!! Obsidian is sooo much better!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought so too!! Love the rest of the series!!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't leave a comment please EMAIL ME a quick message!! Disqus may have some tweeks :)