Review – Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Onyx (Lux, #2)Title: Onyx
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux # 2
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Published: August 14th 2012

The Blurb

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…


My Review

Onyx basically continues where Obsidian finished, with Katy still unsure of Daemons feelings for her. She believes that Daemon only likes her because of the connection they now have. She keeps second guessing him and tries to keep the distance between them. But no matter how hard she tries he wiggles his way in!

A new boy, Blake, comes to town and Katy forms a bond with him early, and soon she is going on a normal date with what appears to be a normal person. It really makes Daemon jealous and it was fun to see him squirm a little! When Katy finds out that she has more in common with Blake than she realised, her perception of him changes. She no longer really sees him as dateable and he becomes her trainer. Daemon asks Katy not to trust Blake, but she wants to be independent and not have to rely on Daemon to keep her safe, so she pushes Daemon away to learn more about herself.

I thought that Onyx was a bit more of a story of self discovery as Katy has to learn new things about herself since the changes in Obsidian. She is trying to learn how to stand on her own feet, but to also remain the person she was before, still going to school and blogging when she can. She puts space between herself and Dee, which I didn't like, because things may have turned out differently if she hadn't. I hoped that she could trust Daemon a bit more, but she didn’t and I really hope she can in the future...However, she still is a witty girl and I love the way she thinks! The love, hate relationship continues in Onyx, which is still entertaining to watch, but we get to see the sweeter side of Daemon as he tries to win Katy's heart. He is unbelievably gentle when he needs to be and he made my heart melt. Bad boys have nice sides too!

Lifting my hand, I brushed my fingers over his lips. They were pillowy soft yet firm. Intoxicating. Daemon’s eyes flared, and my stomach hollowed. He shifted his head closer and his lips brushed the corner of mine. His hands slid from my face and down my neck, and when he dipped his head again, his lips brushed over the tip of my nose. And then he kissed me. A slow-burning, toe-curling kiss that left me aching for so, so much more. I felt like I was spinning into that kiss, falling into him.

Blake started off as an ok character, but I never truly liked him. He was a bit off and was able to let things slide when normal people would ask questions. During the date that Katy had with him I thought it was sweet and I was glad she was able to do something ‘normal’ for a change. But as always, appearances can be deceiving.

I enjoyed how the story went and had my suspicions early on with not only new characters, but with the reintroduction of some old ones too. The bigger story is really starting to develop and I am really excited to find out what happens now.... Jennifer L. Armentrout definitely knows how to hold the attention of the reader and this was another great example!! I certainly am addicted now!! I must start Opal immediately!!


Find my review of Shadows – Lux #0.5 here.
Find my review of Obsidian – Lux # 1 here.


And I forgot to mention last week, but I won both Obsidian and Onyx from Wickedly Delicious (Fallen Angels YA Book Blog). Thank you so much for introducing me to the world of Daemon!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh yeah! Who dosen't enjoy a bit of Daemon. :D
    Love your review, and I agree, I didn't take to Blake either.

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this was Katy's journey to self discover. Great review and glad you enjoyed.

    Happy reading,

    Brandi
    @ Blkosiner’s
    Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you enjoyed Onyx. It is no secret that this is my favorite series haha. Lovely review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brandi! Glad you liked my review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny how you have a character that rubs you the wrong way...

    ReplyDelete

If you can't leave a comment please EMAIL ME a quick message!! Disqus may have some tweeks :)