Review ~ Friday Night Bites by Chloe Neill

Title: Friday Night Bites
Author: Chloe Neill
Series: Chicagoland Vampires #2
Genre: Paranormal/Urban Fantasy
Published: October 6th 2009


Vamps in Chicago!

You’d think headlines like that would have provoked the fine citizens of the Windy City to take up arms against us bloodsucking fiends. Instead, ten months later, we’re enjoying a celebrity status reserved for the Hollywood elite—fending off paparazzi only slightly less dangerous than cross and stake-wielding slayers. Don’t get me wrong, Joe Public isn’t exactly thrilled to be living side-by-side with the undead, but at least they haven’t stormed the castle yet.

But all that will change once they learn about the Raves—mass feeding parties where vampires round up humans like cattle and drink themselves silly. Most civilized vampires frown on this behavior, putting mere mortals at ease with their policy of asking a person’s consent before taking a big gulp of the red stuff. However, that doesn’t make good copy for a first time reporter looking to impress his high society family.

So now my “master,” the centuries old, yet gorgeously well-preserved Ethan Sullivan, wants me to reconnect with my own upper class family and act as liaison between humans and vampires—and keep the more unsavory aspects of our existence out of the media. But someone doesn’t want people and vamps to play nicey-nice—someone with an ancient grudge.
It has been a little while since a vampire series has been able to grasp my attention and leave me wanting more and the Chicagoland Vampires series is certainly doing that for me! After I finished the first book Some Girls Bite, I jumped straight into Friday Night Bites – even though it was late at night and I really should’ve gone to sleep – because I wanted more of Merit immediately! There is just something refreshing about this series and I simply love it!

Merit is such a fun character to read about! She became a vampire without a choice, but she seems to be adapting pretty well. She tends to get swept away with her thoughts and over thinks things, but usually too much thinking turns out to save complications in the future. Merit is also having boy issues!! Morgan from the Navarre house has shown an interest in her, but she also has some serious chemistry with Ethan, the Master Vampire and the head of her house. Ethan and Merit have a love/hate relationship and rarely see eye-to-eye on anything, but they try their hardest to get along. With Merit’s already questionable entry to the Cadogan house, she knows it would complicate things if she oversteps the boundaries of their working relationship. So she tries very hard to avoid Ethan when possible.

Ethan I love too!! It has nothing to do with how hot he is – he has the perfect body, blond hair, beautiful green eyes – ok, so maybe I do love him because he’s hot!! He is a confidant and demanding Master Vampire and is highly respected by his Vampire family. But watching him struggle with Merit and how she constantly pushes him to the edge is hilarious. He is not used to someone testing his patience, but Merit is very good at it!

Friday Night Bites has a great storyline too. It jumps straight into the next problem at hand and Merit and Ethan have to work closer together to unravel the mystery. It was entertaining, I tell you, as you could cut the (sexual) tension with a knife!! But they make a good pair when it comes to their working relationship and the constant bickering had me cracking up! The return of some of my favourite side characters was great as well; Catcher, Mallory, Jeff, Luc and Lindsay, just to name a few. They all affect Merit in their own way and will help her out where needed.

Once again Chloe Neill swept me away and into her Chicagoland fantasy world! I just love being in Merit’s head and see what she is thinking! The humour and witty remarks she writes into the story keep me smiling the whole way through, but I am also intrigued by the remarkable storyline. Seeing more of the Vampire world in this story and introducing us to more of the supernatural is going to give great depth to the series. I’m looking forward to continuing the journey with Twice Bitten… ASAP!!




Other Posts from Chloe Neill
Review ~ Some Girls Bite


12 comments:

  1. Heh it really is fun to see her get to him :) And ahhh I love Jeff! I so wish there was more of him in the series :) great review Naomi. I'm so excited you're loving them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really was a great one - I loved seeing Merit deal with her family and that world. And the interaction between her and Ethan was great. So glad you're enjoying them :-) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! And I love the title of the book! Haven't seen this series before, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just adore Ethan and Merit. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an awesome series, I truly love the Chicagoland gang. Your review makes me want to go back to the beginning of where it all started and reread them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeff is funny! I am really enjoying it, so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks!! This series really surprised me! I have read a lot of Vamp books, so it's great to find something I am enjoying this much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha!! Yes! I totally agree with you, I am so addicted!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a fabulous action series (lacks swoon moments) and I love it so much. There is a lot of tension though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! Yes! I love them both! I am having so much fun with this series!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe it has taken me so long to begin this series!! I am addicted! I just love the whole world and the characters!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you're enjoying the series. There is something addictive about them like chocolate!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't leave a comment please EMAIL ME a quick message!! Disqus may have some tweeks :)