Review ~ Smokeshow & Fireball by Abbi Glines

Smokeshow (Smoke #1)Smokeshow by Abbi Glines
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was really excited to get into this read. I was captivated right from the start and enjoyed getting to know Maddy and how she came about being shipped to Florida. She was out of her element as she had lost the only family that she knew and was thrust into a whole new world, outside of her comfort zone.

I liked Maddy during most of the read, as she was strong and trying to find her own way. She didn’t get pushed. After a while she began to lose her way, and at times became a yes girl, giving in too easily. Instead of demanding answers she tried to be independent and that landed her in trouble. She ran instead of talking, and seemed to be a different person to the girl I first met.

I enjoyed meeting a lot of the secondary characters. Maddy built friendships with Saxon and Trev, but it was Balise who was a mystery to her. He was mean to her for a lot of the read but as the story unfolded I was able to see there was more to his story and that he protected people fiercely.

I was hooked by this read right up to the end and had to buy the second book immediately to see how it all unfolded.

Title: Smokeshow
Author: Abbi Glines
Series: Smoke #1
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Published: April 16, 2023

Set in a world where southern wealth and power comes from one source. The Family is ruled by one boss and it's time for the newer generation to step into place.

It’s a fragile thing- the whispers of truth that you hope are lies.

Hughes Farm was the largest racing horse establishment in the south. The family that owned it were known to be wealthy, powerful, arrogant, and terrifying. My first encounter with them didn’t prepare me for all that was to come. I don’t think anything truly could have.

Growing up with only my father and brother hadn’t been easy but we’d had each other. Losing them was the hardest thing I’d ever faced. It had made the times we went without food, electricity, or even shelter seem insignificant in comparison.

It is when a woman, claiming to have been my mother’s best friend, arrives to take me home with her that questions begin to surface. My father had rarely spoken of my mother. She’d died when I was a toddler. Having no other option, I trust this stranger and am thrown into a world of mansions, racing horses, extravagance, and him .

It’s true that there is a thin line between love and hate. But there is an even thinner line between truth and lies.


Fireball (Smoke #2)Fireball by Abbi Glines
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a great sequel to the first book. I still felt Maddy was a different girl from the one we first met. She was struggling in this new world and had withdrawn into herself. She as finding it hard to come to terms with everything that she new, but wasn’t willing to get the answers she needed. She was quick to allow her body to cave before she got the answers she needed and I wished she was a bit stronger and held her ground.

When she had the full picture I liked how much stronger she became. She was back to the girl we met and wasn’t as timid as what she had been. I would’ve liked her to be stronger through it all. I really did like how Blaise was so protective of her and was willing to take out any one for her. He was obsessed by her and she became his focus. but I could really see he loved her fiercly.

I did feel that this storyline was similar to the first book, but I really did enjoy the ending. I have enjoyed meeting a lot of the characters and amd really intrigued by this world. I am really looking forward to more reads from this world.

Title: Fireball
Author: Abbi Glines
Series: Smoke #2
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Published: May 14, 2023

The truth behind the lie isn’t always a relief.

Loving a man known for his wealth, arrogance, and power had been a mistake. My head had known he was dangerous but my heart hadn’t cared. When the lies began to unravel and the truth slapped me in the face, running was the only thing I knew to do. I didn’t belong in this world.

His world.

But you don’t run from The Family. Not when they claim you as their own. Trusting anyone is a mistake. Friendship is only as deep as the Boss allows it to be. You are never hidden. They will always find you.

Every move I made, he controlled. The people helping me were all under his command. The only weapon I had was his obsession with me. Learning to use it against him could destroy me but I had no other choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't leave a comment please EMAIL ME a quick message!! Disqus may have some tweeks :)