Review ~ Drink Deep by Chloe Neill

Title: Drink Deep
Author: Chloe Neill
Series: Chicagoland Vampires #5
Genre: Paranormal/Urban Fantasy
Published: November 1st 2011


icon


Clouds are brewing over Cadogan House, and recently turned vampire Merit can’t tell if this is the darkness before the dawn or the calm before the storm. With the city iself in turmoil over paranormals and the state threatening to pass a paranormal registration act, times haven’t been this precarious for vampires since they came out of the closet. If only they could lay low for a bit, and let the mortals calm down.

That’s when the waters of Lake Michigan suddenly turn pitch black-and things really start getting ugly.

Chicago’s mayor insists it’s nothing to worry about, but Merit knows only the darkest magic could have woven a spell powerful enough to change the very fabric of nature. She’ll have to turn to friends old and new to find out who’s behind this, and stop them before it’s too late for vampires and humans alike.
Drink Deep was a bit of a different book from the others in the series. The Cadogan house has had to adjust to a major tragedy and are trying to find their way again. And with the arrival of a receiver, who is shaking things up a bit, is definitely not helping. Throw in to the mix the mysterious things that occurring in Chicago and chaos is erupting all over the place!!

Merit is finding her way again slowly, and with the help of Jonah, the Grey House Head Guard, it is making it a little more bearable. She has always shown strength, and she is determined to move on from the tragedies from the previous book. Having her mind occupied with the job does make it easier, however. Jonah, I like!! He is great support and backup for Merit. There is a spark between them, but Merit is not willing to act on it.

Merits relationship with Mallory becomes a bit strained in this book as Mallory is under a lot of pressure for her final exams. She is concentrating so hard on passing that she is very offensive and mean to Merit. It is also putting Catcher off his game too. The three of them usually work well together, but you can see the tension between them all.

I had my suspicions about the culprit early on in the book. It seemed to be too coincidental, but we were able to meet new supernaturals while on the case. The receiver, Frank, does some things that in the end strengthens the Cadogan Vampires. I loved that about them, that in new and difficult times they are able to band together. The ending was ok, it seemed a little too easy for me, but I don’t want to give you the details why, because it is a big spoiler. The epilogue set it up perfectly for the next book and I’m excited about Merit’s new journey!



Other Posts from Chloe Neill
Review ~ Some Girls Bite
 Review ~ Friday Night Bites
Review ~ Twice Bitten
Review ~ Hard Bitten


12 comments:

  1. This series is on my list! Looks like you're still enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting esp with the difference from others in series

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantasy Is More FunOctober 8, 2013 at 3:37 AM

    Wow you wrote that really well - if I hadn't read it I wouldn't know what was going on! *applause* So I agree that the culprit was a bit too obvious (didn't you just want to smack Merit for not figuring it out?) and the ending was just a bit too easy, but I did like this book (which was a surprise after the events of the last one). I love Jonah and I think I like him for Merit better than I've ever liked Ethan. He's solid BF material, and Ethan isn't. Great review as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeez, you make me want to go and pick up the rest of the entire series and read the first 3 and again so I can catch up. Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I certainly am!! But this is the last one that I have read for now. I want to get some more before I start again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a bit different, but I still enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha!! Yes! I like Jonah a lot... and whats with the spark... gotta be more to it!! Ethan just has that Alpha appeal, where Jonah is a little more laid back.... sigh... This is the last one that I have read though... Will read more hopefully next month. Got to get through some other work first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jenea!! I know what you mean though, the series is so good, that you want to do that!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice review. I know a lot of people were disappointed in the direction that series took after book #4 but i enjoyed it even more. Merit really grew as a character in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review, Naomi. I'm glad you're enjoying Chicagoland and Merit :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much! I was a little disappointed, but I still loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Lexxie! I am enjoying it a lot!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't leave a comment please EMAIL ME a quick message!! Disqus may have some tweeks :)